wye creek alpine trek
A spectacularly scenic introduction to a range of NZ trekking terrain. This overnight experience is a scenic introduction to the astounding alpine high country of the Southern Alps. Traversing glacial carved valleys with towering cliffs, alpine lakes, the highest peaks of the Remarkables Range tower above, sweeping panoramic views abound as you cross the Wye Saddle before plunging downward through a steep-sided valley renowned for its ecologically sensitive fauna, rock climbing, and ice climbing.
The modest duration of walking each day allows plenty of time for your guide to discuss geology, history, flora, fauna and most importantly a range of hiking knowledge and skills to prepare you for independent adventuring in a range of conditions and terrain.
- Modest but challenging walking days
- Astounding views & a unique natural environment
- Really unique & memorable overnight bivouac
- Surprisingly large & quality evening meal and drinks
- Sample rock climbing & abseiling in camp (optional)
- Skills & knowledge training for safe independent NZ hiking
- Summer & Winter! This option is achievable by active people with no or little experience; and, experienced trekkers seeking a unique and memorable guided experience - All year round (Weather dependent Fall & Spring).
WHO IS THIS FOR:
- ALL active adventurers with moderate fitness, a good pair of hiking boots, some hiking experience and a fantastic attitude can complete this trip as a guided activity.
- People looking for a unique, diverse & quite special NZ outdoors experience to 'top off' their NZ experience.
- People who want to independently hike or trek in New Zealand, but have the all too frequently horror stories, and would like the basic skills and knowledge to do so safely in New Zealand's variable terrain and weather.
- Pre-Departure Meet. We require all our participants to meet with a guide the day prior to your trip. Please bring all your equipment to be checked, we will then assist with supplying additional equipment, packing and other advice.
- Weather. We experience fairly stable weather patterns during Summer and Winter, however mountain weather can be unpredictable. Be prepared for the Guide to adjust the plan based on prevailing conditions on the day. This may include an alternative summit route, or not attempting the summit and completing an alternative objective.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
- We provide all the necessary technical equipment to ensure your safety (including ice axe, crampons, harness, helmet and avalanche transceivers in winter).
- We have a fully stocked field kitchen that produces great wine, coffee, and large hearty feasts!
WHAT YOU PROVIDE
- Personal Clothing & Items (List Provided). Clothing can be hired from Outside Sports, our retail partner, at preferential rates. Outside Sports also hire trekking boots suitable for summer conditions. We recommend that you wear your own boots to ensure you experience a comfortable walk into the mountains.
- Your Camera!
OPTIONAL SCENIC FLIGHT
You can enjoy the luxury and excitement of an optional helicopter scenic flight into the Remarkable Range.
|Price 1 person||$999|
|Price 2 or more||$799|
|Max. Party Size||6|