THE GRAND TRAVERSE
The Grand Traverse is an iconic, classic single day adventure, with awesome views and knife edge exposure. Arguably one of the finest single day alpine adventures in New Zealand! It is a very serious expedition, and as such must be combined with a prior day of training and assessment. Please contact us for more information.
WHO IS THIS FOR:
- Summer. The Grand Traverse is suitable for those with some previous rock climbing and/or mountaineering experience or extensive hiking experience. Discuss your experience with us when you book, and you might be surprised! We can also add an additional training day to get you ready!
- Winter. Winter conditions mean that the full Grand Traverse can be difficult to achieve. Please contact us to discuss your experience and current conditions. A winter traverse requires better clothing, warmer boots, and excellent fitness.
- Please contact us before booking, for guide availability.
- Pre-Requisites. The Grand Traverse is available subject to proven prior experience. Please contact to discuss with us your experience level.
- Pre-Departure Meet. We require all our participants to meet with a guide the day prior to your trip. Please bring all your equipment to be checked, we will then assist with supplying additional equipment, packing and other advice.
- Group Size. All of our mountain trips are treated as a Private Guided trips and have a maximum group size of two people per guide. We don't pair strangers together.
- Weather. We experience fairly stable weather patterns during Summer and Winter, however, mountain weather can be unpredictable. Be prepared for the Guide to adjust the plan based on prevailing conditions on the day. This may include an alternative summit route, or not attempting the summit and completing an alternative objective.
- Winter. During Winter additional safety and environmental factors may exist. We screen our participants to ensure you meet the pre-departure fitness, clothing and general experience requirements and attempts of the Grand Traverse are subject to conditions at the time of your trip.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
We provide all the necessary technical equipment to ensure your safety (including ice axe, crampons, harness, helmet and avalanche transceivers in winter).
WHAT YOU PROVIDE
- Personal clothing & items (list provided). Clothing can be hired from Outside Sports, our retail partner, at preferential rates. Outside Sports also hire trekking boots suitable for summer conditions. We recommend that you wear your own boots to ensure you experience a comfortable trip in the mountains.
- Your camera!
OPTIONAL SCENIC FLIGHT
You can enjoy the luxury and excitement of an optional helicopter scenic flight into the Remarkables Range ($P.O.A).
The Grand Traverse is a single day traverse, we may ask to see a logbook of your experience or have an evening session working on some key skills needed for the day.
Please contact us to discuss your suitability for this trip.
|Price 1 person
|Price 2 people
|Price 1 person
|Price 2 people