mountain skills Course
The course is an introduction to Winter Alpine skills. It's suitable for beginners keen to experience snow and ice conditions for the first time and regular alpine trampers wanting to refresh their skills for walking and mountaineering.
Two days of instruction and training and one evening session.
The course will cover:
- Choosing equipment for an alpine environment
- Movement skills on snow
- Ice Axe use
- Safe use of crampons
- Emergency rope use for steep ground
- Emergency snow shelters
- A mountain journey putting all of the new skills into perspective
13-14 July 2019. Minimum of 3 climbers to operate at the advertised price of $499 per person.
This course also operates on demand from June to September. Please contact us to discuss options.
- Kit Check and Discussion,
- weather forecast and route planning
- Step kicking/cutting
- Ice axe arrest
- Walking in crampons
- Emergency rope work and snow shelters
DAY 1 Evening Session
- Introduction to Avalanche Awareness
We will use the skills learnt on the previous day to embark on an alpine journey, practicing self arrest and crampon technique along the way where appropriate. We will also talk about avalanche awareness, snow conditions, mountain weather and route planning.
- What we provide. We will provide all technical equipment for the course (crampons, axes, ropes etc).
- What you need. Please bring appropriate clothing for a winter environment, waterproofs, boots, hot drinks and lunch for the days. We can assist with low cost rentals.
A Perfect Combo
Optional Add-on Day
For those that want to take the course to the next level, we offer an optional extra day taking in an ascent of Single Cone, The Remarkables highest peak. This involves more advanced mountaineering and climbing techniques and as such has a smaller ratio size of 1:2