Summer mountain skills Course
This course is suitable for trampers, alpine trekkers, rock climbers and aspiring mountaineers wanting to gain the skills and confidence to undertake moderate alpine rock scrambles in summer conditions. Participants will leave the course feeling they have the skills to prepare, plan and safely execute their own summer mountain adventure.
2-4 days of instruction and training.
The course will cover:
- Methods of planning and preparing for an alpine trip
- Personal preparedness for an alpine trip
- Learn how to identify and manage mountain hazards
- Terrain management and decision making
- Route selection and mountain navigation
- Personal management systems in an alpine environment
- Refresh walking and movement skills in a variety of alpine terrain
- Learning to place protection, building anchors - both natural and placed protection
- Climbing and efficient movement techniques for moderate scramble/ climbs on rock
- Rope systems for ascent and descent
- Basic self-rescue skills, emergency communications
This course operates on demand from November to May, usually 2-4 days. Please contact us with your aspirations and current experience, and we can discuss your best options for course length and content with you. We also offer an Introduction to Winter Mountaineering, normally available between June-October.
- Mountain trekking or alpine tramping experience
- Previous rope work and knowledge and rock climbing experience preferred
- Some experience travelling in exposed terrain
Participants need the ability to move over rough, exposed terrain and have a good sense of balance, agility and a “head” for heights. A moderate fitness level is required, with the ability to carry a pack weighing around 10kg/ 22lb.
It would be ideal to take this course along with your intended regular climbing partner, so that you can learn the ropes together and have confidence in each other’s skill set.
- What we provide. We will provide all technical equipment for the course (ropes, harnesses, helmets, etc.).
- What you need. Please bring appropriate clothing for a winter environment, waterproofs, boots, drinks, lunch and snacks for each day of the course. We can assist with low cost rentals of anything you do not already own.