Introduction to Mountaineering
The course is an introduction to basic alpine skills. It's suitable for beginners keen to experience snow, ice and rock scrambling for the first time and regular alpine trampers wanting to refresh their skills for Alpine Hiking.
Our introduction to Mountaineering involves privately guided instruction. The course content will be customised depending on your needs, and can cover a selection of the following skills:
- Pre trip planning - Avalanche and weather forecasts, route planning
- Choosing equipment for an alpine environment
- Poor visibility navigation
- Ice Axe use - walking, self belay, cutting steps and self arrest
- Safe use of crampons in ascent, descent and traversing
- Emergency rope use for steep ground, including snow and rock anchors.
- Emergency snow shelters
- Ascending simple scrambling routes whilst developing safe and confident movement over rocky terrain.
- Basic rope work and belaying using the rope alone, sling and krab.
- Selecting natural rock anchors and their use.
- Personal abseiling with the rope alone.
- Route choice and route finding and assessing when to use a rope
The course can be any number of days from one to five. We are happy to recommend the best content and course length for you if you contact us for more information.
Our instructors are experienced and will provide you with a solid grounding to increase your level of skill and knowledge. All of our Alpine instructors have New Zealand Outdoor Instructors Association qualifications (NZOIA) and our instructor to client ratio is kept at a maximum of 1:6
- What we provide. We will provide all technical equipment for the course.
- What you need. Please bring appropriate clothing for the weather on the day, waterproofs, a warm layer, drinks and lunch for the day. Sturdy Hiking boots must be worn, these can be hired in town
All courses return to Queenstown at the end of the day.
This course is available year round, usually with snow coverage available from May until October. Please contact us to discuss current conditions and your aspirations.
|Group Size||Price per person, per day|
All courses are privately guided. If you would like to book onto a set date group course, then check out our Alpine Skills 2 day Course
Please note that the Introduction to Mountaineering course teaches you basic skills to moving around in an alpine environment. The rope-work used is for simple security and confidence as the ground gets steeper, rather than planned use of a rope on graded Alpine routes and climbs.
We can also offer technical mountaineering skills courses, including the alpine climbing skills needed to summit the Remarkables Mountains and navigate it's exposed ridges. See our Technical Mountain Skills page or contact us for more information.