Introduction to Mountaineering
The course is an introduction to basic alpine skills. It's suitable for beginners keen to experience snow, ice and rock scrambling for the first time and regular alpine trampers or hunters wanting to refresh their skills for Alpine Hiking.
Our Introduction to Mountaineering involves small group instruction over 1-2 days. The course content will be customised depending on your needs, and can cover a selection of the following skills:
- Pre trip planning - weather forecasts, route planning
- Avalanche awareness skills and decision making
- Identifying and managing mountain hazards
- Choosing equipment for an alpine environment
- Terrain management
- Route selection and navigation
- Ice axe use - walking, self belay, cutting steps and self arrest
- Safe use of crampons in ascent, descent and traversing
- Emergency shelters and communication
- Ascending simple, scrambling rock routes whilst developing safe and confident movement over rocky terrain.
We are happy to recommend the best content and course length for you - just contact us for more information.
Our instructors are experienced and will provide you with a solid grounding to increase your level of skill and knowledge. All of our alpine instructors have New Zealand Outdoor Instructors Association qualifications (NZOIA) and our instructor to client ratio is kept at a maximum of 1:6
- What we provide. We will provide all technical equipment for the course.
- What you need. Please bring appropriate clothing for the weather on the day, waterproofs, a warm layer, drinks and lunch for the day. Sturdy hiking boots must be worn, these can be hired in town.
All courses depart from and return to Frankton, Queenstown.
This course is usually available from June until October. Please contact us to discuss current conditions and your aspirations.
|Price per person, per day
Please note that the Introduction to Mountaineering course teaches you basic core skills to move around safely in an alpine environment. We do also offer technical mountaineering skills courses, including the alpine climbing skills needed to summit the Remarkables Mountains and navigate its exposed ridges. See our Technical Mountain Skills page or contact us for more information.