mountain skills Course
The course is an introduction to Winter Alpine skills. It's suitable for beginners keen to experience snow and ice conditions for the first time and regular alpine trampers wanting to refresh their skills for walking and mountaineering.
We have fixed date options for this course. It may, however, be possible to run courses on different dates. If you have a group of two or more people, and wish to book a course for an alternative date, please contact us to discuss options.
Courses require a minimum of three people to go ahead
|16 - 17 July 2017||4 Spaces Left!|
|6 - 7 August 2017||8 Spaces Left!|
|20 - 21 August 2017||2 Spaces Left!|
|3 - 4 September 2017||Open|
Two days and one evening of instruction and training.
The course will cover:
- Choosing equipment for an alpine environment
- Movement skills on snow
- Ice Axe use
- Safe use of crampons
- Emergency rope use for steep ground
- Emergency snow shelters
- A mountain journey putting all of the new skills into perspective
- Friday Evening. Introductions, Kit Check and Discussion, weather forecast and route planning
- Day 1. Step kicking/cutting Ice axe arrest Walking in crampons Emergency rope work and snow shelters
- Day 2. We will use the skills learnt on the previous day to embark on an alpine journey, practising self arrest and crampon technique along the way where appropriate. We will also talk about avalanche awareness, snow conditions, mountain weather and route planning.
- What we provide. We will provide all technical equipment for the course (crampons, axes, ropes etc).
- What you need. Please bring appropriate clothing for a winter environment, waterproofs, boots, hot drinks and lunch for the days. We can assist with low cost rentals.
Optional Add-on Day
For those that want to take the course to the next level, we offer an optional extra day taking in an ascent of Single Cone, The Remarkables highest peak. This involves more advanced mountaineering and climbing techniques and as such has a smaller ratio size of 1:2